Collection: Part 2

Reflections

Tags: Foundation Plus

Reflective

This is my reflective journal on 14Jun 2017.

This is the day before I hand in my finals of the self portrait project. I have found that I had taken a small amount of photos only, and is not well planned. Sketches have been drawn and ideas have been changed completely. 

The concept before would be mostly about loneliness and the transparency of mine, but now after the sketches about friends and colours and some of my superstitious personality, I have developed a new concept for the project. 

Image

15/6

Image

Image

Half Back Lighting

20Jun 2017

I have done some drawings today with fine liners and water colour. The drawings are based on the pictures taken in the Camley Street Natural Park, opposite to the Granary Square, next to the Regent's Canal. I drew it in the sketchbook and was trying to bring out the part and the present of the Canal.

Water colour was chosen to be the material of painting since it could match the feeling of the water flow of the canal. But since the weight of the paper in the sketchbook was not enough to support that much water on the paper, wrinkles came and the paper became thinner. I may use less water to do my watercolour drawings next time or I may even try to use acrylic and colour pencils to draw in it as to create more textures and it reduces the possibility to cause wrinkle on the paper.

23Jun 2017

There was a 3D workshop today and I have learnt about using wood to create different shapes. Vacuuming machine was also a good experiment as I have never tried to use this machine or seen this technology before and I find it useful for me if I need to create any mold. Through the vacuuming machine, I can create things with more details since when the film melt and being vacuumed, the film would stick completely to the material under it and it would definitely fit. 

For the wood cutting part, I find it so much fun since it could help much in my model making work. Even the electric saw could not do the details, but the polisher could help. I have tried to create curves at the edges of the wooden block and I find it interesting and easy to use. 

For the project, I have tried to cut a horse in wood and it do success. I am still a beginner but I can still success with the help of the technicians. 

26Jun 2017

I had been experiencing the first crit today morning and I had received different feedbacks from the classmates. 

Through their comments, I have learnt that I can explain things in words better than in visual drawings or photographs. Some of them mentioned that they understand more after reading the crit sheet, and I was thinking if I had lack of detailed explanation in the sketchbook. I may improve by writing more explanations at the sides of my future sketches and may use illustrations to let readers understand my idea more.

After the crit, the second project started immediately. I have tried to create random models using paper and masking tapes. By creating these models, they could help me generate more fun ideas and add interesting elements to my stage idea. According to the 3 keywords that I chose, which are 'circular, sharp, wave', I create 3 models and tried to project different lightings on it and create different themes. Like for the one creating like a swirl staircase, the lightings projected would be like some curvy lines and they appeared like the ribs of human. This was an interesting and unexpected outcome which could help me in developing future ideas of creating ribs stage or rib shape stuff.

Crit Sheet

Rib Shape Shadow

Another Rib shape

28Jun 2017

I have been through 2 tutorials today and I am having a better pathway on using lights and shadow to create my outcome.

Soft and hard comparing to minor and major researches could be done. Sharp and flat could compare to the minor and major in the music perspective and could then define which would be the light and which to be the shadow.

Abstract shadow of piano keynotes were encouraged to do and I do find this interesting comparing to a real one. And due to the experiments done yesterday, using lights and shadow to create piano keys are more difficult then I thought and so I might pick up the idea in using an abstract way to create it.

The research I did today about Santiago Calatrava was really inspiring since I found that some of his structure or architecture is similar to the shape of my previous experiments. One of my paper model was to create a spiral shape with tubes and he did had a sculpture created in similar ways and I was trying to search for his concept behind but I failed but in my opinion, the sculpture was placed on top of water and so it might be creating the water waves.

The research of Sou Fujimoto was also useful since it help me in confirming my idea of using lights and shadow. The lights he used would be sharp spotlights and the circle on the floor was sharp ones, not those fading away and it could be one of my research part. If the height of the room is short? Or what kind of lightings that he was using that could create such sharp lightings?

Spiral experiment

Mimico Creek Pedestrian Bridge

3Jul 2017

I have been through the first progression tutorial today and I found it really useful.

For the past 4weeks, I have already done 3 projects on self portrait, this place and structure and surface. These 3 projects are having different context to me and I was trying to do them in different ways in order to let me understand more about how to work on a better portfolio. 

From the feedbacks, I found that the comments of my work was positive but there were lack of photographs in the project of self portrait and the structure and surface used images. I would print them and stick them back to the sketchbook before the assessment. 

I think I would find a way to combine the 3 ways used before to do my future sketchbook. Linkage between pages have to be reconsidered as this is my weakest part. Both the linkage between page and the linkage between the sketches and the content has to be improved. 

The sketch and idea development could be drawn or written like the self portrait project, experiments records could be done like the structure and surface project while the final outcome collages or collage in between can be done like this place project.

Masking tape around an ankle

Mold of the ankle

Repeat in shapes

Free transform and cut

Old Magazine

Idea Development from the text Material Culture

13Jul 2017

Since I was sick for 2days, I could barely think about any ideas about what the project could be about. Luckily, my partner came up with some really fun ideas and we compromise to work on one of her idea which is creating a light box and there is a Chinese sex drawing and food in front creating a landscape. 

The concept is taken from a Chinese philosopher about 'The desire of food and sex is part of human nature.' and we agreed to work on this point and that is why we chose to create a painting in a Chinese style and with Chinese food in front. 

Since this is an idea mainly came from her, I could help in creating and thinking about the technical part. We two have different perspective especially when she is having a fine art practice while I'm having a theatre design practice. She might focus more on self expression while I would emphasise on the audiences. Since this installation involves both artists' expression and audience perspective, we could work cooperatively while creating the outcome.

I could help in thinking in audience perspective and making things more practical. I am weaker in drawing and painting and so my partner could do the drawing and creation part.

14Jul 2017

It was a Friday which means it would be the last day for me and my partner to work together and we need to work individually on the weekends.

I think it was an interesting challenge because even we got each other's contact and we could ask for each other's opinion through the internet, but I still find communicating face to face would be better. And also, I think communicating face to face could express much better by only through words. There could be different misunderstandings happen between but luckily there weren't any when I was talking or typing to my partner. 

Another challenge between us is our perspectives. She might find the old magazine very interesting and have wonderful contents but actually to me it is just an old book. What raise my attention would be the broken parts or the worn parts but to her, as a fine art student, she might find the whole thing really artistic and the making or the pattern interesting. We got different perspective while reading or seeing the same text and object and it made our decision or ideas came out in really different ways and outcomes.

For the exciting part which worked well, it would be a similar point, we got different perspective. Since we got different specialism, we got different view points is reasonable. Her stance would be satisfying own expression while I would be base on the audience and the technical problems. So when it comes to the idea of making, we could cooperate really well as she came up with an idea and I came up to the working process. I could help and support her in any technical like lightings and wood workshop while she is creating her piece of food drawing. I would regard this as a good cooperation since we both got work to do and we both appreciates each other during the process.

For the other advantage for us doing a co-create project would be we are having similar cultural background. She came from Shanghai while I came from Hong Kong, these two places are very close and the two places are having similar colonial references. When it came to material culture, we could think about combining both architectural culture and other that relates to both our culture and living environment. And also, we are both Chinese and actually some parts of Chinese philosophy we could understand each other when it first came to our heads and we could work immediately since we understand each other. 

17Jul 2017

This is the last day for us to do our co-create project.

I think me and my partner are having a good time management since we managed to finish the outcome at school and we can do our research workbook at home. 

At first, we were thinking if we need to take the food back home since there would be flies if we leave the food unattended overnight. But then, we thought about wrapping the whole box with cling film which could help us not to damage the view inside the box and not to cause flies everywhere. 

We have chosen some food with less juice produced like vegetables of small broccolis and some salad vegetables. Sweet potato, pear and rice are also considered. We wanted to make a landscape for the painting as to enhance the theme of 'the need of food and sex are natural human desire'. Since the painting is drawn with soy sauce, the colour theme would be brown colour and so the food chose in front should have similar colour tone with it, not to create too much contrast since the pink curtain is already a big contrast with the inside. 

If we could get more time and have more deeper researches about this culture and the reason behind the philosopher of why is he saying this phrase, I think we could produce a better work and we can enhance the background meaning. The size could still remain the same due to the scale of food. 

Whole outcome wrapped with cling film to prevent flies

Unit5 check list

18Jul 2017

It was the crit day for the co-create project.

We have done a good job when presenting the whole work. The food are preserved well even after one night and the lightings worked well under the dark environment. The curtains somehow became an extra part for the work since we have opened it for the other students to see while we are presenting.

We think that the outcome, for displaying in the windows, we think that pictures could use to replace the real food since the food can't be placed that long, flies would be attracted and the food would definitely be rotten. Though the rotten food's outlook do not affect the overall outlook of the work, but the smell and the flies would be very disgusting while cleaning and the whole artwork would become rubbish.

Glass could be used to help prevent flies but it may cause reflection when people are peeping inside especially when we have lighting elements.

19Jul 2017

We have done the Pecha Kucha assessment today and I think overall is quite good.

In the morning while practising with Mark, I was still having some pronunciation problems and I may be a bit rush for the 20 seconds. But when it comes to the final recording, I think I did quite well since I can catch up with all slides and amend my script to each slide and arouse others to pay attention to my presentation. 

I think I could still improve a lot for my presentation skills. I actually got a script full of point forms and I thought I would be reading my script or to use the points to remind me what to say but actually I did not read much from the script. For the next presentation, I think I could write less or even challenge myself to not using any script for a presentation, just use the image to remind myself about what to talk about. 

Part 2 Final Evaluation

14Jun

15Jun

This is my reflective journal on 15Jun 2017.

It was the work submission this morning but since there were system error last night which caused my work fail to upload last night, I had more time to edit my work before the final submission. I tried with more different effects and photoshop skills to the work before my final submission to the moodle.

My work had been shown to the whole class and we did a good large group discussion as I could receive different comments from classmates and tutors and see the parts that I have done weak. They had a correct concept about me wanting to talk about the absence of me, and the importance of the friends, but at the same time, the superstitious part had stayed empty. 

In the twist of work, it actually gone quite wrong but then it turned out to be a satisfied outcome. I first tried to place the photo next to the small fountain just to let people see the water, but then, the wind blew the photo into the water and it went all wet. I thought it was quite interesting and took a few picture of it and thought it could be the end. And so, I turn the photo into a trash ball and was searching for a bin to throw it away. On the way for a bin, I saw another pool outside the Google building and I decided to unfold the photo and place it back into the water, with torn and creases. It was a satisfying outcome since the crease and the water movements merges well, and at the same time we won't lost our focus on the polaroid taken in the photo, and so I think the outcome was unexpectedly good.

Image

Image

16Jun 2017

This is the first Friday since I started the FADplus course.

We were told to go out and do life drawings around the campus and around King's Cross. It was a sunny day but still it was a good day for drawing. Shadows and lightings could be considered more and due to the natural daylight, it could help about doing negative drawings. Silhouette of human or objects could be considered and drew easily if we are facing a backlight. 

We have learnt to overlap drawings in different facings with different colours, negative spaces, wrong hand drawing and blind drawings. To me, wrong hand drawing is quite nice since it could create unexpected lines and unexpected outcomes as I am not good at controlling my left hand. Same as blind drawing, we don't need to consider about any lines or any realistic things, blind drawing is base on our senses and trust to our hands and so I think these two methods could help me in improving my drawings.

Shadows caused by Natural Lightings

19Jun 2017

I have been through the first tutorial with Karen today and we have gone through about the primary idea of canal and builders. 

Primary researches had been done outside CSM next to Regent's Canal and I have tried to stand on the bridge and have a look on both left and right side of it and I found that it was very new and very modern and so I think I need to do research on the history and the changes in all these years of the Regents Canal. For the Granary Square, it was an industry beforehand and so there would be workers, I believe there are workers building the Canal also and so both workers should be researched, and the character designed could be one of the worker or some workers talking about old tales.

The stage or set design could be on the water, opposite to the grass stairs, on boat, floating along the water...

21Jun 2017

I have been to the language support class today and had a nice quick tutorial with the tutor.

Suggestions given by the teacher was useful that he helped me overcame my question about having similar horse equipments since the past till now and the suggestion was to research on the play 'Warhorse'. I think theatrical research is a must for me as a theatre design student but I totally forgot about it. What I was thinking about was the practical and the reality of the equipments. And due to my own experience in horse riding, I have set my mind about what the horsing equipments would be like and I didn't thought about being creative and exaggerating the costume or the equipments for the horses.

The design for the barges is still an unknown. Interactive part with audiences would need to be improved, for example, spotlighting on audience? questioning? monologue and make fun with audience? sit with them? walk pass by them?

And the other question would be, where would the audience be sitting?

Photograph taken in the play Warhorse

27Jun 2017

I have gone through the first tutorial today and I am having a better idea development.

I was originally having the idea of creating a scene which contains a rib as a set but then I don't know what it could represent and what it works for and so I originally abandoned this idea. Then, the second idea came up that was using the shadow to create a piano keynote but still, the idea was rough and too random.

After the first mini tutorial, I have tried to produce different models and work on their shadows. This makes me think about combining the two ideas and to create a piece for a public area or to recreate a scene.

The paper models were all made to consider their shadow, not their physical shape. I started to develop into looking at shadows while creating my ideas. I would like to use the contrast of lights and shadow to complete this project.

Image

Image

Image

SMU Meadows Museum Wave Sculpture

Rib Experiment

6Jul 2017

There were workshops about drawings done today. One of them was about quick drawings while another was to draw and make models.

To me, I think the model making workshop would be more useful to me since for my specialism, I seldom need to do quick sketches on human sketches. But at the same time, I found being models for others to quick sketch is quite fun and interesting like it is actually a difficult task since human could hardly stand and hold still in one pose for 5 to 10 minutes. Maybe because I do enjoy performing and so I do enjoy when having to hold for others to draw me.

For the model making and drawing workshop, it would more likely to help in my future specialism. As being a theatre designer, everything on the stage include costume is also a part of my concern and so I think making costume which fits exactly the actors are very important. This is a respect towards audience and the actors. 

By applying cling films on the body parts of the model and add on masking could help fixing special shapes and by cutting it out in different parts, it could help costume makers to produce the exact costume or body part that fits the actor or created exactly like my will. The technique is easy and cheap in cost, but at the same time very useful.

Masking tape around an ankle

7Jul 2017

One of the workshop that I have been through was to learn using Photoshop.

I think it was really useful because I lack computer editing skills and this workshop could definitely help me in practising it. Basic technical skills could be learnt from the workshop like free transforming the image and different shapes to be cut and overlap.

The most interesting part would be creating a pattern. Even I was not studying graphic design, I still think this part could help in my future career. Repetition could help in enhancing different stress or creating different atmosphere. And therefore, I think I would practise more and explore more on photoshop and try out to create better collages with it.

Dot Pattern

10Jul 2017

We were grouped in pairs by our teachers and my partner is a fine art student.

We first tried to get use to each other and exchange different specialism working process with each other to make sure we understand each other. 

Our object shown from the museum section was an old magazine done by CSM students around a hundred years ago. I actually find some of the illustration quite interesting like the chair love, it actually summarizes love in 6 pictures and is very funny.  The texture and the aging texture of the book also attracts me. The combination of paper and leather on the front page is unexpected since it was a contrast of texture, paper could break very easily while leather is more tough but at the same time they were very soft.

Me and my partner are having different opinions about the book but having similar thoughts after reading the text of material culture. We started about having ideas on creating a photography as an outcome.

Aging wrinkled pages

Park Romance Illustration

13Jul 2017

I have researched about the Bonzai and I think there are similarities between our view-box and the bonzai.

Bonzai is keeping plants in a small glass or in a small pots with some miniatures to create a pleasing feeling and to let people think that it is cute. For our view-box, we are also producing some landscape with food and at the same time we are keeping them in a small place. The food could act like the miniatures for bonzai. For the pleasing feeling, since sex and food are human nature, mentioned by a Chinese philosopher, the sex scene drawing and food could also produce a pleasing feeling for audience, but at the same time people may also find it irritating since they seldom think about food when they are having sex.

The outcome plan

Lighting tests

Painting the wood box

Food chosen

Drawing with lightings

Image

18Jul 2017

I have chose to put the box in the studio at the corner around the computers. There are 2 stands that could hold the box in a human eye level and therefore we chose to put it there to let audience to open the curtains and peep inside. The area there is mostly white which could make a good contrast with the box we made which is all black.

Within our collaboration, I think our idea communications did quite well since we respect each other's opinions and we tried our best to understand each other before giving any comments. Especially when we are having similar background and culture, we could understand each other more only by explaining in simply a few words. We cooperated well when it came to buying props to create the outcome and we did ask about each others' opinions, not buying according to own will as we understand that this is a co-create project.

I think the preservation part could be improved. Even we have include some ginger to help sending the flies or insects away from our work, but we have tried to place food inside for one night with cling film on already and still there are many flies. We need to place a few more ginger to scare away the flies. I think if we could add preservation material to the food or preserve them with the wax, it may outcome in a better way.

To me, this project came in a really successful way. We both appreciate our work and we enjoy working together. Actually, cooperation is very important. For example, my partner is working on  fine art which mostly focus on expressing herself while my practice on theatre design would be focusing on audience's feelings of convinced. And so, while we are doing this project, she could be the leading part when it comes to idea drafts and some drawings. For me, I could support her in different aspects like lightings and technical help, for example creating the wood box in the 3D workshop. This is a good collaboration and this do help in enhancing the project outcome.

The two discipline's common thing would be we could both do installation art. Theatre design is actually already a part of installation art and when it comes to big hanging props, they are of course installation art. For fine art, installation could be a part of self expression and so installation would be our biggest common part.

What I leant from my partner would be her thinking and idea development. She can think about many different possibilities when it comes to development. Since I got stuck after the reading the material culture text and after seeing the museum object, she can use a method of elimination to take away some possibilities like when it comes to language and words, she can immediately think that these two are contradictory since language is non-material culture. Her ideas are very interesting because she can always link the two things in a good way as presentation. Her sketch of development could explain her work and thoughts well. 

I think the collaboration work of Earn's group works quite well. In such a limited time, they could produce such a big work is very hard but they did a great job in the creation and thinkings. I think the part that made them successful would be one of them are making good decisions since they got 3 person in the group that there would easily be arguments. When one of them could make decisions and organise other teammates well, they could work well and create such a good outcome. 

Sabi
18 July 2017, 9:12 PM
1 comment