Reflections

Tags: Foundation Plus

Reflective

This is my reflective journal on 14Jun 2017.

This is the day before I hand in my finals of the self portrait project. I have found that I had taken a small amount of photos only, and is not well planned. Sketches have been drawn and ideas have been changed completely. 

The concept before would be mostly about loneliness and the transparency of mine, but now after the sketches about friends and colours and some of my superstitious personality, I have developed a new concept for the project. 

Image

15/6

Image

Image

Half Back Lighting

20Jun 2017

I have done some drawings today with fine liners and water colour. The drawings are based on the pictures taken in the Camley Street Natural Park, opposite to the Granary Square, next to the Regent's Canal. I drew it in the sketchbook and was trying to bring out the part and the present of the Canal.

Water colour was chosen to be the material of painting since it could match the feeling of the water flow of the canal. But since the weight of the paper in the sketchbook was not enough to support that much water on the paper, wrinkles came and the paper became thinner. I may use less water to do my watercolour drawings next time or I may even try to use acrylic and colour pencils to draw in it as to create more textures and it reduces the possibility to cause wrinkle on the paper.

Photograph taken in the play Warhorse

14Jun

15Jun

This is my reflective journal on 15Jun 2017.

It was the work submission this morning but since there were system error last night which caused my work fail to upload last night, I had more time to edit my work before the final submission. I tried with more different effects and photoshop skills to the work before my final submission to the moodle.

My work had been shown to the whole class and we did a good large group discussion as I could receive different comments from classmates and tutors and see the parts that I have done weak. They had a correct concept about me wanting to talk about the absence of me, and the importance of the friends, but at the same time, the superstitious part had stayed empty. 

In the twist of work, it actually gone quite wrong but then it turned out to be a satisfied outcome. I first tried to place the photo next to the small fountain just to let people see the water, but then, the wind blew the photo into the water and it went all wet. I thought it was quite interesting and took a few picture of it and thought it could be the end. And so, I turn the photo into a trash ball and was searching for a bin to throw it away. On the way for a bin, I saw another pool outside the Google building and I decided to unfold the photo and place it back into the water, with torn and creases. It was a satisfying outcome since the crease and the water movements merges well, and at the same time we won't lost our focus on the polaroid taken in the photo, and so I think the outcome was unexpectedly good.

Image

Image

16Jun 2017

This is the first Friday since I started the FADplus course.

We were told to go out and do life drawings around the campus and around King's Cross. It was a sunny day but still it was a good day for drawing. Shadows and lightings could be considered more and due to the natural daylight, it could help about doing negative drawings. Silhouette of human or objects could be considered and drew easily if we are facing a backlight. 

We have learnt to overlap drawings in different facings with different colours, negative spaces, wrong hand drawing and blind drawings. To me, wrong hand drawing is quite nice since it could create unexpected lines and unexpected outcomes as I am not good at controlling my left hand. Same as blind drawing, we don't need to consider about any lines or any realistic things, blind drawing is base on our senses and trust to our hands and so I think these two methods could help me in improving my drawings.

Shadows caused by Natural Lightings

19Jun 2017

I have been through the first tutorial with Karen today and we have gone through about the primary idea of canal and builders. 

Primary researches had been done outside CSM next to Regent's Canal and I have tried to stand on the bridge and have a look on both left and right side of it and I found that it was very new and very modern and so I think I need to do research on the history and the changes in all these years of the Regents Canal. For the Granary Square, it was an industry beforehand and so there would be workers, I believe there are workers building the Canal also and so both workers should be researched, and the character designed could be one of the worker or some workers talking about old tales.

The stage or set design could be on the water, opposite to the grass stairs, on boat, floating along the water...

21Jun 2017

I have been to the language support class today and had a nice quick tutorial with the tutor.

Suggestions given by the teacher was useful that he helped me overcame my question about having similar horse equipments since the past till now and the suggestion was to research on the play 'Warhorse'. I think theatrical research is a must for me as a theatre design student but I totally forgot about it. What I was thinking about was the practical and the reality of the equipments. And due to my own experience in horse riding, I have set my mind about what the horsing equipments would be like and I didn't thought about being creative and exaggerating the costume or the equipments for the horses.

The design for the barges is still an unknown. Interactive part with audiences would need to be improved, for example, spotlighting on audience? questioning? monologue and make fun with audience? sit with them? walk pass by them?

And the other question would be, where would the audience be sitting?